Tuesday, January 05, 2016

Short overview of 2015

With the ringing in of the New Year I felt it was time to make a decision about this blog - either close it or put some effort into bringing it back to life.
Since I have wonderful memories, especially of my first years of blogging, I didn't want to just "leave the building" so here I am on January 5, 2016 with an overview of 2015 and a promise to myself and you (if anyone reads this) that during 2016 I will blog at least once a month (during the first week of the month).
If at the end of 2016 I do not feel satisfied with what I have written and the overall experience I will say farewell.

Let me begin by giving you a short overview of 2015.
- DH retired
- we moved to Palm Coast, Florida
- children and grandchildren were all home (from Bremen, Germany and The Hague, The Netherlands) in December during which time we:
  1. celebrated our 40th anniversary in a wonderful day at the Kennedy Space Center
  2. celebrated Christmas
  3. celebrated our grandson's second birthday
- reconnected with a classmate after almost 50 years and discovered that she is not only just as nice a person as she was then but that she is an author. Meet Margie here. She sent me her book "60 is the new 20" for Christmas. I will tell you about it in an upcoming post as I read (loved) it this past weekend. 
- read (too) many books
- stitched less than normal
All in all it was a busy year.

Now to the whole point of this post - a stitching update with pictures.

"Blue Snowman"
designed by Linda Bird - Imaginating, Inc.
stitched 2/2 on 32 ct opalescent Belfast linen
with suggested DMC colors

"Kolibri"
from Borduurblad #61
a gift from DD's children for my 2014 birthday
stitched 1/1 on 18 ct white Aida
with my own choice of DMC colors
made into bookmark for DD
"Gingerbread Cottage"
a Medeiros Needlecraft Design
from Just Cross Stitch 2007 Special Christmas Issue
made into 2015 Christmas ornament for granddaughter

"The Decorator" 
by Full Circle Designs
from Just Cross Stitch 2007 Special Christmas Issue
 made into 2015 Christmas ornament for grandson

"The Bookshop"
as it stands December 31, 2015

I'll close off with a few of the books I enjoyed during 2015.
"The Hours" Michael Cunningham
"Ventoux" Bert Wagendorp (Dutch)
"The Giver Quartet" Lois Lowry
"The Yellow-Lighted Bookshop" Lewis Buzbee
"The Sun Also Rises" Ernest Hemingway

6 Comments:

Blogger Cindy's Stitching said...

how nice you moved to fla. sounds like Christmas was a good time. you have stitched some wonderful pieces. happy new year

12:53 PM  
Blogger Mylene said...

Didn't know you've moved..great to hear all are home for the holidays.
Great finishes and looking forward to your updates coming months.
Was quite the same with me, i had thought of closing up my blog as i am more on FB
but i feel it's different on FB with updates so i am going to try to post often on my blog too.
Happy New Year and all the best for 2016!

2:48 PM  
Blogger Juls said...

Sounds wonderful!!! I for one hope you keep posting. I'm trying to be better about posting too.

1:59 AM  
Blogger Robin in Virginia said...

What super ornaments you stitched! I am intrigued by the snowflakes that are backing them. Care to share the details! Wishing you a very happy New Year!

11:56 AM  
Blogger Von said...

Nice to see your update! How lovely to be living on the coast of Florida - good for you!

5:07 PM  
Blogger Brigitte said...

So nice to see a new post from you. And wow, so much happened in your life last year. I have been enjoying retirement for two and a half years now and I still don't get bored, not a single minute. I hope that your husband feels the same about it. And living in Florida must be great without ice and snow. I'd love it if I could avoid the snowy winters here, lol.
It must have been wonderful to have all your children home over Christmas. We also could enjoy all our children's visit last summer when my daughter visited from the US and our sons and their wives came home, too, for a while. It was the first time in years that the whole family was together. And it was a wonderful event.
You have some nice stitchy finishes to show. Blue Snowman is gorgeous, and really beautiful ornaments and bookmark. You made some great progress on the Bookshop.
I'm looking forward to seeing your next blog post.

11:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home