Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Eletelephony

Eletelephony

Once there was an elephant,
Who tried to use the telephant
-No! no! I mean an elephone
Who tried to use the telephone
-(Dear me! I am not certain quite
That even now I’ve got it right.)

Howe’er it was, he got his trunk
Entangled in the telephunk;
The more he tried to get it free,
The louder buzzed the telephee
-(I fear I’d better drop the song
Of elephop and telephong!)

-Laura E. Richards-

Who else remembers memorizing this poem in elementary school?

Although I'm not certain why, I suddenly thought about it today and wondered if children were still enjoying this funny poem.

Not remembering the title I looked up 'elephant with telephone' on the internet (is there anything we can't find on the internet?) and there it was.

What I didn't know was that this sweet nonsensical poem was written by Pulitzer Prize winner Laura E. Richards. I also found out that her mother was the famous Julie Ward Howe who wrote the words for The Battle Hymn of the Republic.

Hope you and possibly your children will enjoy it just as much now as I did then.

PS -
In case you are wondering about the elephant at the top of the post - - also found on the internet. It is actually an elephant cell phone holder. Perhaps a modern day 'Eletelephony'?

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think I've ever heard this poem before. It's fun, though.

7:44 PM  
Blogger Leeland said...

How lovely! Thanks for sharing this, I will have Corentin read it. I'm sure he'll enjoy it.
We must be on the puter at the same time, you in LV and I in Lille...
Big huge live hugs, my dear dear friend.
Lili

6:41 AM  
Blogger Kathy A. said...

LOL LOL LOL - thank you for my chuckle of the day.

3:48 PM  
Blogger mainely stitching said...

I've read it, though we didn't have to memorize it. I love wacky poems like that. Do kids still memorize things at school? I know here in the Netherlands, my kids memorize some songs, but that's it (so far).

2:42 PM  
Blogger Lillie said...

Cute poem!

3:04 AM  
Blogger Hazel said...

What a funny little poem. I can't remember it. Though that doesn't mean I wasn't taught it lol.xx

2:10 PM  
Blogger nela said...

Hi margaret... que de tiempo.. debo felicitarte ese bolso de patch ha quedado genial...al igual los muñecos de navidad, pobre bicicleta guaacatela.. cuentame como estas? todo bien ... envio besos
pd sabes algo de nuestra amiga comun? ya debio defender su tesis...

9:48 PM  
Blogger stitcherw said...

Fun poem, I haven't thought of that in years, and what a perfect picture you found to go with it.
Sue

9:25 AM  
Blogger Janice said...

Oh Margaret! I love that poem! We had a book with it in it when I was small. I do think of it from time to time because I loved it so much.

7:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home