Sunday, May 11, 2008

The Poppy Lady

It is Sunday morning and since we are leaving for a short trip to Holland this coming week I thought I would let all of you know what I will be taking along to stitch during the loooooong flight.

The last time we were in Europe was 1 1/2 years ago (DD was here last November and DS this past Christmas) so you can imagine how excited we are. Of course we are looking forward to seeing other relatives and friends again too. DS will be flying in for the weekend so we get to have our whole family together for a few days.

Without further ado, here she is - Walter Crane's 'The Poppy Lady'.

'The Poppy Lady is warm and sensuous, representing the hot colours of a midsummer cornfield and hinting at lazy afternoons dreaming in the sun. Morpheus, bringer of dreams, is symbolized by the poppy.'

Oh how I wish you could see the wonderfully vibrant colors of this piece. Once again I am stitching 1/2 on 32 ct white opalescent lugana (my favorite fabric at the moment).

And here is the wonderful book which the pattern comes from.

DS and I are both big Jugendstil fans and last year for my birthday I received this great book of patterns from him. Right from the start I knew that 'The Poppy Lady' would be the first design I would stitch from this book. After starting it I also know that 'The Daffodil Lady' and 'The Anemone Lady' will not be far behind.

Also coming along on the trip is 'Sense and Sensibility' which we are currently reading for our RAL. I am looking forward to finishing it by the time we come home so that we can go out for our S&S lunch.

Before I sign off I want to wish Juls http://afairyprincessdreams.blogspot.com/ and the others attending this coming weekend's stitching retreat at her house a grand time. I wish I could be there but will be thinking of all of you.

15 Comments:

Blogger mainely stitching said...

Hey Margaret, where will you be when you're over here in Holland? Any free time in your schedule?

Love your current WIP. :D

1:42 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Your stitching is lovely and the book looks like a great source of inspiration.

2:35 PM  
Blogger Mylene said...

Wish you a safe trip and a great visit here in Holland!!

That's a lovely design you are working on.

2:44 PM  
Blogger Lillie said...

Have a wonderful holiday Margaret!
You Wip is such an adorable piece.

12:25 AM  
Blogger Kitty Couture said...

Have a wonderful time in Holland Margaret. I hope the weather holds up, it's been amazing for several weeks now.

1:56 AM  
Blogger Barbara J said...

You are one resourceful lady! :) Thank you for going to all that trouble! I've closed the comment section because I do not find the time to comment on other stitchers' blog anymore, just here and there sometimes.

I prefer it to be a two way thing and not to have stitchers' comment on my blog and I don't actively comment on theirs. It's just not fair to them.

I hope you have a wonderful holiday with your family and I do read your blog even if I don't comment ;)

8:17 PM  
Blogger Leeland said...

I wish you a great time in The Netherlands! Are you having this trip to celebrate your birthday?
The Poppy Lady will sure be stunning...
hugs!
Lili

12:18 AM  
Blogger Sharon said...

Have a wonderful trip! I love the new start.

4:14 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Have a wonderful trip! That is a lovely design and the book looks like a great one, judging from the gorgeous pictures on the cover.

5:14 AM  
Blogger Hazel said...

Safe trip! xx

5:38 AM  
Blogger Von said...

Enjoy your travels and time in Holland! May all your flights be on time and smooth. :)

10:38 AM  
Blogger stitcherw said...

The colors look wonderful, I can't wait to see more of her. The others sound intriging as well. Hope you have a wonderful time on your trip.
Sue

6:15 PM  
Blogger Oma said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. Have a great holiday in the Netherlands. Wish I was there with you.

Poppy Lady will be stunning when it is finished.

Can you still speak Dutch? I've been in Canada for almost 52 years so can barely speak, read or understand it anymore. When we were in Holland in 1986, I was happy that most of my cousins could speak English and one of my aunts spoke English. My DH is Canadian so now I speak English all the time. I was 6 when I came to Canada.

4:53 PM  
Blogger Felicity said...

I hope you had a marvelous trip & a birthday to remember. I look forward to reading about your adventures on your return. Hugs

9:46 AM  
Blogger Hazel said...

Lovely poppy design. Great book. xx

9:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home