Tuesday, May 22, 2007

A Birthday....Mine!!!

Now that our naughty Lili (you know I'm only teasing you my friend) has let the cat out of the bag about my birthday I might as well confess. Yes yesterday was the big day -- for the 59th time as a matter of fact. Thank you all for your wonderful birthday wishes - they are very special to me.

Thought I would share a picture of myself from long ago. I don't know exactly how old I was at the time but I do know that it has always been a favorite of mine. The cape was knit by my oldest sister who later saved it for me so that she could give it to me when I had children of my own. M was 17 when I was born and I think she did a wonderful job. Although she's much older than I am (I'm one of those after the war family additions) and was already engaged to my BIL when I came along, we have always had a great connection.

Yesterday was a lovely day with all those birthday wishes via telephone, mail, email (including a newsy long email from dear D in China) & the blog. I must admit I spent a great portion of the day on the phone with our children (Germany & The Netherlands) and family and friends from Canada, The Netherlands & the US. It is always so good to hear familiar voices and those of you who know me well also know I don't run out of conversation easily. That meant that as the day progressed people had spent hours trying to get through. I'm sorry folks and thanks for keeping on trying. DH bought me the deliciously fragrant "5th Avenue" by Elizabeth Arden, DS gave me Michael Chabon's "The Yiddish Policemen's Union' and 'Art Nouveau Cross Stitch' by Barbara Hammet (which I have already spent hours dreaming over) and DD & her DBF gave me Michelle Ferrari's wonderful 'Las Vegas an Unconventional History'. Ah they know me so well!! Last night DH took me to dinner at Binion's. I had a delicious lobster bisque followed by a tender filet mignon accompanied by a loaded baked potato & fresh vegetables and of course a glass of great wine.

A great day ..... life is so good!!!

31 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Congratulations, fellow May birthday celebrator! My 57th will be on Friday, the 25th. Because I will be at a convention then, I'm going to hold my "Observed" Birthday dinner on Thursday night.

7:54 PM  
Blogger Barbara J said...

Happy for you Margaret and that you had a fine day on your birthday :)

Yeap, life IS good!

8:20 PM  
Blogger Mary Ann said...

Happy Belated Birthday, Margaret!! It sounds like you had a perfectly lovely day.

8:27 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Sounds like a wonderful and perfect birthday. :o)

12:27 AM  
Blogger mainely stitching said...

Oh, happy birthday!!!! It sounds like the ideal way to spend a birthday, too. :D

1:10 AM  
Blogger Lillie said...

Happy Birthday Margaret.
Wishing you everything nice and wonderful.

1:33 AM  
Blogger Leeland said...

Mmmmm! Happy day indeed! The only problem on these days is that the ears are painful at night because you've kept holding the phone pressed on them -in turns- almost all day long... lol!
Lovely pic of you. I love seeing how much you cherish your oldest sister's attention. I think she must be/would be extremely touched at reading this.
Lots of hugs,
Lili

2:24 AM  
Blogger Dawn B. said...

Happy Belated birthdaay to you.. Sounds like you had a good day. sorry I missed it.Thanks for stoping by my blog and the comment.

2:39 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Happy Birthday!!! And that's a lovely photo...thanks for sharing this with us...and it was wonderful going through your post...and hey also visit my blog on Birthday Celebrations sometime and check out all that's there!!!!

4:21 AM  
Blogger ollie1976 said...

Happy belated!
-Jen

5:16 AM  
Blogger Alberta said...

Margaret, I hope you had a wonderful Happy Birthday!

6:17 AM  
Blogger Kitty Couture said...

Dear Margaret, I'm glad you had a good birthday! My mother was an after-the war baby too, and there is a 11-year difference with her sister.

8:53 AM  
Blogger Dani - tkdchick said...

Happy Birthday!!! You were adorable!!!

1:59 PM  
Blogger Mylene said...

Belated happy birthday, Margaret.
Hugs.

3:12 PM  
Blogger claudia said...

Happy late birthday to you! There are a lot of May birthdays going on...I got to lead the parade as my birthday was on the 1st!
What an adorable picture of you! I should look up my fav pic of me when I was around a year old. That was 53 years ago.
So nice to hear you had a wonderful day! Here's to many, many more!

9:17 PM  
Blogger tintocktap said...

Belated birthday wishes - glad to hear you had a lovely day.

3:11 AM  
Blogger Katrina said...

belated birthday wishes Margaret - sounds like you had a perfect day :)

2:59 PM  
Blogger Annemarie said...

Happy belated birthday Margaret! Whereabouts do your children live?

3:20 PM  
Blogger Sharon said...

Margart sounds like you had a wonderful day. Reading what you had for dinner-made me hungry! I love the picture-very cute!

8:27 PM  
Blogger msstitch01 said...

Happy birthday Margaret. I have been keeping up with your blog and have missed our back and forth comments. I decided to close my blog after receiving some not very nice emails. I might start a new blog in a few months time when I feel like being more active in the blogging world other than just reading blogs. Anyhow, hope you had a great birthday and will talk with you soon.
Gail
Sydney, Australia

1:48 AM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Happy belated Birthday, Margaret! It sounds like you had a superb day with your birthday greetings from your family and friends.

9:55 AM  
Blogger Janice said...

Happy Belated Birthday Margaret! I love the pic. you posted of when you were little! It sounds like you had a perfect birthday! I have enjoyed getting to know you and I so appreciate the nice comments you leave on my blog!

6:55 AM  
Blogger Karin said...

Happy Birthday! I'm so happy you got to spend it talking with your friends & family.

7:43 AM  
Blogger stitcherw said...

Glad that it sounds like you had a wonderful birthday. I loved the picture of you in the cape, very cute and what a wonderful heirloom to have.
Sue

4:41 PM  
Blogger Renee said...

Owing to your own comment on my blog I'm glad to learn that you had such a wonderful birthday with much love poured over you from both the new and the old continent, and even from Asia. May God bless you, help you and lead you in all your needs during this new year of your life. By the way we both were born the same year!

1:58 PM  
Blogger Stitch Wizard said...

Oh Happy Happy Birthday to you late Margaret!! I hope you had a wonderful birthday and I am sorry I didn't know until now!! I wish you many many more!! :)) Debby

7:01 PM  
Blogger Dawn T. said...

Happy Belated Birhtday! The picture is so adorable:)

2:59 PM  
Blogger Von said...

I'm so sorry to be so very late with my wishes for a happy birthday. It seems that you had a marvelous day! Hope this year is full of such days for you. :D

11:06 PM  
Blogger Renee said...

Just a friendly morning greeting to you from France.

12:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy birthday Margaret...hope it was a good one for you :)

9:58 PM  
Blogger nela said...

Feliz Cumpleaños Margaret.....
Feliz feliz, cumpleaños... te deseamos a ti que el Dios Onmipotente, te sepa bendecir, feliz, feliz cumpleaños, que Dios con su bondad te de muy larga vida, salud y felicidad.......
muchas felicidadesss

7:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home