Sunday, June 17, 2007

An old Friend and a new SAL

Welcome back Gail!!! It's so good to see you are blogging again. Many of you will remember Gail (MS Stitch) and just like me have missed her for many months - well she's finally back at http://ramblingstitches.blogspot.com/ If you haven't met Gail before you should check out her site and her beautiful work.

On Friday Brenda came over for a wonderful day of gabbing & stitching and we started the SAL that we have been planning for months. We are stitching Mirabelia's "Autumn In My Garden". I'm stiching my lady 2/2 on 32 ct platinum Lugana with the required DMC floss. Originally I considered stitching 1/2 but with the piece being so large I felt that the 2/2, which is what the designer Nora Corbett suggests, would be a better choice. Now I do have some ??? about her face. Would it be a good idea to stitch that either 1/2 or 1/1 (DMC 948) in order for it to be more delicate looking? Any thoughts/advice on this are welcome. A lot of my time on Friday was taken up by gridding the top left quadrant so all I have to show at the moment is a bit of brown border and some brown hair. As soon as she takes some sort of shape I will post a picture.

Last week I noticed that Blackbird Designs has a new freebie and, being the BD fan I have become, just couldn't resist 'Spring's Notice'. It is stitched 2/2 on 32 ct oyster linen with DMC floss and the finish is only 2 1/2 x 2 1/2 in.

On the Fair and Square front - I'm almost finished and will hopefully be able to mail my square to Donna by the end of the week. Once she has received it I'll post a picture.

Now for a little non-stitching news. Last night DH & I went the the Clint Holmes muscial JAM (Just Another Man) at the Nevada Conservatory Theatre at UNLV. For those of you who don't know Clint - he is the son of an English opera singer and an American GI/jazz singer who met during WWII. His voice contains the best of both parents and his performances are fabulous. JAM is autobiographical and a wonderful show. What is extra special is the fact that his real-life sister (Gayle Steele - another fabulous voice) plays his sister in the musical. JAM is playing here for a month while they get the kinks out and will then move to London, England. If you get a chance - SEE IT!!!

Special note for D
It's hard to believe your year in China is almost at an end. Enoy these final days and experiences in Longyan and have a fantastic trip to Shanghai & its 'silk market' and Toyko. Your emails and pictures this past year have been fantastic and always make me feel like I am part of your adventure. Thank you!!

Have a wonderful week everyone.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Margaret, how are you? Im glad you liked my beanie, im really chuffed as its actually the first thing ive ever made out of my handspun that i really love. your stitching is FABULOUS as always, ive restarted stitching on pots n pugs as I want it finished this year, no more excuses from me for not doing it :) ok have a great day and belated birthday wishes for you too. xxx

8:10 PM  
Blogger mainely stitching said...

Beautiful stitching, Margaret! As for the face, I have no suggestions. I'd just try it both ways and see which I like better. ;)

1:35 AM  
Blogger Leeland said...

In some British mags, they offer to stitch the face on one and the rest on two. I will try to find some pics and email them so you can have an idea. I think the faces look more beautiful stitched on one indeed, but haven't given a try myself.
Glad you enjoyed your concert.
Take care!
Lili

4:59 AM  
Blogger Barbara J said...

I've never stitched 1/2 before, so I am afraid I am no help :) Love the BBD freebie!

2:02 AM  
Blogger Lillie said...

A beautiful chart. Am sorry am not of much help on the face. Loved to see your progress on it.

2:53 AM  
Blogger stitcherw said...

Your Autumn SAL piece will be lovely. I've seen the pattern before, but haven't seen anyone stitch it so will enjoy watching you. Can't help on the face, as so far I haven't done any pieces where I've mixed over 1 and over 2 on the same project. Your BB piece turned out very cute as well.
Sue

9:26 AM  
Blogger Wendy said...

That's going to be a gorgeous picture! Mirabilia designs the best faces so you can't go wrong with whichever you decide.

2:00 PM  
Blogger Dani - tkdchick said...

Margaret your little HD is lovely!

7:58 PM  
Blogger Janice said...

Hi Margaret! Your Autumn in the Garden will be beautiful! Can't wait to see your progess.

5:56 AM  
Blogger Sharon said...

Cute BD finish! Sounds like you and your DH had a wondeful time at the concert.

3:35 PM  
Blogger Mylene said...

That's a beautiful designs for the SAL, and cute finish.

2:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home