Tuesday, January 27, 2009

18th Century Birds

Last week I spent every day at the computer getting all the bookkeeping finalized so that it could be sent to the accountant for her reports. Although I love bookkeeping and the wonderful feeling it gives when everything falls into place and balances (a bit like stitching a Mandela), at this time of year it is always great to know it's done (and correct of course). My goal was to have it sent out by the end of last week and lo and behold at 5:30 pm Friday my mission was accomplished.

In order to do some relaxing stitching during the evenings I picked up a WIP that I was stitching in one color.

Last year when I was looking through some of my old cross stitch magazines I came across this pattern. I can't remember that it caught my eye as something special in 1983, yet now I found I wanted to stitch it. The magazine does not give a name for the pattern nor does it mention the name of the designer.

Rather than stitch it in the colors suggested I decided to use just one color and here is the result.

18th Century Birds (sounds appropriate)
from the April 1983 issue of 'Handwerken met Steek'
stitched 1/2 on 32 ct 18th Century Red linen
with DMC 3865

The finished piece is approximtely 5 1/2 x 6 inches (13 1/2 x 14 1/2 cm) and rather than make it into a book cover as suggested in 'Steek' I'm looking for a pretty box so I can use it to decorate the lid.

Today the rest of my floss arrived for my 01/01/09 start. Recently I checked the re-stitched area and believe it or not - I did is correctly. Next weekend I'll put the floss onto the bobbins and then pull everything I need so that it's all ready to work on.

In the meantime I could pull out another WIP but first I have a small project I really want to stitch. It is a San-Man original - 'Grin & Share It'. Absolutely adorable and a quick stitch.

22 Comments:

Blogger Mylene said...

That looks great too in the colour you have chosen. Congrats on the finish!

2:33 PM  
Blogger mainely stitching said...

It's a very pretty finish, Margaret!

1:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooh, wat ziet dat er prachtig uit op die rode stof!! Een plaatje!

5:07 AM  
Blogger Von said...

Margaret, that's lovely! It is fun to observe how our tastes change over the years. I've looked back at some abandoned wips and wondered why in the world did I start that in the first place. :D

3:03 PM  
Blogger Alberta said...

Margaret, once again you have an eye for design...I love the one colour of floss, you see the design more than the original which is a flurry of colour! Great finish.

Now what is your secret to being so organized and productive????

7:29 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Lovely stitching! I've noticed in a lot of my older magazines, you can't find the designer's name anywhere. Its a shame they were not given credit for their beautiful work.

5:38 AM  
Blogger Cindy F. said...

Congrats on your balancing accomplishment: Feels good, huh?

Margaret, I love this piece you've stitched! The fabric and floss choice are perfect!! Absolutely beautiful!

9:37 PM  
Blogger stitcherw said...

Beautiful finish, it looks lovely all done in one color.
Sue

3:48 PM  
Blogger Sharon said...

Margaret,it's beautiful. I love the fabric color.

1:19 AM  
Blogger Maren said...

Only one color works for that design! Nice fabric, too.

2:04 AM  
Blogger Hazel said...

Oh its lovely Margaret. I like it a lot! Is it copyrighted lol? x

12:29 PM  
Blogger Lillie said...

Loved your choice colors. It turned out beautifully. Well done.

8:29 PM  
Blogger Kathy A. said...

That is just so lovely. I love the white on that beautiful fabric.

9:48 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

Beautiful piece, Margaret! It's great to find an antique to revive!
Hugs, Deb

4:36 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

Beautiful piece, Margaret! It's great to find an antique to revive!
Hugs, Deb

4:36 PM  
Blogger Leeland said...

It's an amazing project and I absolutely love the fabric and your exquisite stitching. You have the best eye to find the most lovely and original projects, Margaret.
A great finish that would definitely do a great lid for an elegant box.
Many hugs, my dear friend. i'm writing you an email at the moment but I'm not sure it will be done and finished at once... So expect some news pretty soon. xoxoxo

2:59 AM  
Blogger Leeland said...

Oh sorry, Leeland is Lili from France. I have a second blog in French on Blogger and I had to find a new name for it. And I have signed with the wrong pseudo... I could use more practice... (blushing)

3:01 AM  
Blogger Dani - tkdchick said...

What a beautiful piece!

7:18 PM  
Blogger Mylene said...

Stopping by to wish you a Happy Valentine's Day weekend!

2:02 PM  
Blogger Juls said...

Beautiful!!!! I do love one color designs.....

12:18 AM  
Blogger msstitch01 said...

Love your finished piece Margaret. It looks very pretty.

Best wishes,
Gail

1:28 PM  
Blogger Maren said...

That looks wonderful! Isn't it funny how our attraction to certain designs can change over the years. lol

3:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home