Wednesday, May 31, 2006

A Few Days in California

It's hard to believe that a week has gone by since I last wrote. I just wanted to complete the pincushion for the Summer Exchange before writing again. Last night I sewed it all together and now I can only hope that my exchange friend will like it. Namuelle, thanks so much for organizing and hosting this exchange. It's great!!

Well we went away for a few days just like planned. Thursday morning we left home around 7:00 a.m. and arrived in Simi Valley around 12:30. It was wonderful to be in California again, I just love it there. We spent the afternoon visiting the Reagan Library which was very interesting and also enjoyed our tour of Airforce One. From there we drove north to Visalia where we spent the night. The following morning we drove to Sequoia National Park and the adjacent Kings Canyon. In Sequoia we climbed partway up Moro Rock. When we first arrived the fog was so thick you couldn't see much, but after visiting a few other points of interest it had cleared up quite a bit so we went back to the rock and we were able to enjoy the awesome views. In Kings Canyon we hiked to General Grant Tree which is the third largest of all known sequoias. It is 267 feet high with a circumference of 107.6 feet. Getting to the tree is no problem - a lovely new path, all downhill. Getting back takes a bit more effort as of course it's now an uphill battle. We saw many more amazing things but I won't bore you with all the details. We had hoped to travel home through Yosemite but heard early in the day that the Tioga Pass isn't open yet. This meant that we had to travel pretty well the same route home.

This week along with finishing my exchange pincushion I also tried my hand at making a biscornu. It was really fun to make and I'm happy with the result. I still have to add a button and once I've done that I'll post a picture.

Tomorrow Maria, Karin & I start our 'Frederick the Literate' SAL. That's going to be fun. Will try and post a picture tomorrow night of my first nights achievement.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home