Thursday, August 31, 2006

End of August finishes

It's been a strange stitching week & had it not been for Alison I probably wouldn't have completed these projects. Thanks Ali for letting me join your finishing long weekend. It helped me through some tough moments when I probably would have just put the stitching to the side otherwise.

Here's our friend 'Boo' in the Halloween needle roll for Katrina's August SAL. Lili & Mirjam you were right that Boo really needed to be outlined. What was so difficult about this stitching project you ask? Actually there were a few new techniques to learn which is always pretty daunting. I had never removed threads before nor had I done a hemstitch, yet once I just got at it they were really no problem. What was the problem then? Now don't laugh because it's really too ridiculous for words. The SPIDERWEBS (of course barely visible on the image) which I left to the very last were a pain to do. I love to cross stitch because everything is so exact & symmetrical and this was very difficult to do with the webs. You will note that I added a little black bead to the center of each to draw your attention away from my 'symmetrically challenged' webs.

This afternoon I hope to complete the finishing (stitch the back seam & add the orange ribbon & filling) but you'll have to wait for a picture of the completed needle roll until the next film is developed. Thanks Gail, for leading me to great finishing instructions.


And here we have Martina Weber's 'Tiny Rose Mandala Garden' which is still one of my very favorite projects ever. All I had left to do this week was the beading (another first) but once I got the hang of it that went well. I wish you could all see the garden in person as the image truly doesn't do it justice. I'm hoping to get the rose garden framed ASAP. Some day I'd love to make one of Martina's larger pieces. For anyone out there who admires her work like I do - this is an excellent piece to get a feel for her patterns.

A third stitching project was completed this week. It's a zodiac sign started for DS about 15 years ago which needed about an hour's worth of work to finish. Rather than post a picture of that now I'll wait until the sign for DD, which was started at the same time but is still in the early stages, is a little further along and post both pictures at once. There's a lovely description of the symbolism enclosed with the pattern which I'll share with you at that time.

Aaaah, now it's time to relax & read all your blogs & catch up on the latest news. HAVE A WONDERFUL WEEKEND EVERYONE!!!

10 Comments:

Blogger mainely stitching said...

Great finishes!

11:58 AM  
Blogger lyssophietje said...

Boo looks really great with the backstitching:). It's ashame the spiderwebs aren't really visible. I'm curious how the look.

Your finished garden Rose mandela garden looks beautifull! I really like it <3. But I already said a lot;).

I hope you also have a wonderfull weekend!

Mirjam

2:32 PM  
Blogger lyssophietje said...

(I'm sorry for the messy and incomplete post but blogger was actig weird. But I think you can fill in the missing parts;))

2:35 PM  
Blogger Kitty Couture said...

Great finishes, Margaret. Way to go! Love that Chatelaine design, it's gorgeous.
Have a lovely week-end too :)

2:05 AM  
Blogger Leeland said...

Well, I've got the rose mandala garden design on my to-do-list and I can imagine what the pic doesn't show, and it's a stunning job you're doing Margaret!
YOU were right about the ghost! And about the webs, I relate to your feelings as I have stitched two of these on one of my earlier projects, and I was quite disappointed with them for the same reasons! lol...
Looking forward to see these sign projects...
Take care!

2:42 AM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Ah, Margaret, I found you too (through the message left on Katrina's blog). I had tried numerous times to find your blog, but couldn't and then assumed you didn't have one! I'm so happy to finally be able to visit your blog now also!!!

I love Hallowe'en projects - yours is so cute!

8:11 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

What a cute needleroll! And your Rose Mandala Garden came out beautiful!! Congratulations!

12:10 PM  
Blogger Leeland said...

Well, thank you for asking when my birthday... was... It was 31st August, and I didn't mention it on my blog, probably out of shyness/discretion/don't ask. I don't know...
But I am extremely touched that you asked on my blog! Here's my address: nlanduyt arrowbase cegetel.net.. I haven't typed the small arrowbase sign to try and avoid spams. We'll see... I am not very used to San's forum so I'm trying this way...
When is your own birthday?
Lots of hugs, dear Margaret!

1:26 PM  
Blogger Lillie said...

Wow, I loved both pieces, the roll's gonna be a really cute piece. The Rose mandala is gorgeous.

2:00 AM  
Blogger catandturtle said...

I love the halloween needle roll. It is so cute. My favorite part is those black cats. :D Ann.

10:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home