Wednesday, November 29, 2006

1/5 "Winterdance" Gary Paulsen

Let me begin by telling you how happy I am that I joined Michelle's 'Overdue Books Reading Challenge' http://www.jimnshelle.net/books/archives/003945.html Taking part in this makes me realize how many wonderful books I own which are calling out to be read. Why do I see new titles in bookstores which I just have to have when my own library is so full of wonderful reads? So thank you Michelle, I'm loving it.


If someone who is neither a big fan of dogs nor snow buys a book like this it is probably doomed to sit on the bookshelf for years. When the Santa Rosa PW Bookclub chose this as their book of the month I was no longer living in SR and even though I bought the book I was in no hurry to read it. What a mistake as this book truly has everything one can want in a good read - a warmhearted hero, his true blue friends (animal & human), nasty villains (also animal & human), natural beauty, hardship, heart-stopping adventure and a gigantic dose of humor.

Although it will be difficult to see in the above image 'Winterdance" has a sub-title 'The Fine Madness of Running the Iditarod'. It is the combination of these two which truly describes the premise of this amazing book. You can't just love dogs, snow & adventure and then think you can run the 1,180 race across Alaska. You have to be a little mad to attempt this grueling task. Yet as with anything in life we strive for and ultimately achieve, the result leaves us filled with joy and ready to dance in celebration.

Although I considered writing an entire book review I finally decided against it as others have said it so much better than I ever could.

"A breathtaking, heart-stopping, roller coaster ride that depicts the brutal reality of the Iditarod, the magnificent beauty of Alaska, and the unique, if not surreal, relationship that develops between man and dog." - Nevada Weekly

"Fueled by a passion for running dogs, Gary Paulsen entered the Iditarod - the 1,180 mile sled-dog race through the Alaskan wilderness - in dangerous ignorance and with a fierce determination. For 17 days, he and his team of dogs endured blinding wind, snowstorms, frostbite, dogfights, moose attacks, sleeplessness, hallucinations - and the relentless push to go on. Winterdance is the enthralling account of a "stunning wilderness journey of discovery and transformation."" - Chicago Tribune

At the end of the race Gary Paulsen says: "I didn't want to go in". I can truthfully say I felt the same way. I wanted him to just make a short stop in Nome to feed & take care of the dogs and then continue on our (yes by now it had become our not only his) adventure.

3 Comments:

Blogger Margaret said...

Dear Margery,
Thank you for taking the time not only to read my blog, but also to explain many things about the Iditarod Race which I was not aware of.
Gary Paulsen speaks of his dogs with love & respect and I truly felt that he tried to understand them and treat them well. However, knowing what the human race can be like, I realize that not every musher is like that and perhaps he was just one in a thousand.
GP did touch on the abuse of dogs at one point (pages 215-218) and I think tried to give us a glimpse at the dark side of this race.
Once again, thank you for writing and sharing your knowledge. I will never look at this race in the same way again.
Margaret

4:36 PM  
Blogger Mann said...

Dear Margaret,

I worked the whole summer with mushers in South-East of Alaska. During that time I saw both sad and enduring moments. We discussed the way mushers treat their dogs, how media portraits the famous Iditarod, what they feed the dogs, the way they, mushers, live. And much-much-much more.

I don't plan on running the Iditarod, but I personally know people who do. And just like there are cruel people, there are those who passionatley take care of their dogs and kennels.

Yes, dogs die every year Iditarod is run. But have you talked to the veterinarians checking EACH AND EVERY dog during the race? They say that these animals are amazing. Eric "Bush Vet" Jayne himself is running dogs, his son came 25th last year.

There are dogs of 15, 16, 17 years in the kennel, still happily barking every time you pass with the harness - energetic and healthy. Is a fat house-kept dog with severe heart problems better?

I truly hate people that abuse animals, abuse their pets. But it's not about the Iditarod - it's about people, mushers who act the way that leaves a "bad smell" to dog mushing in general.

Gary Paulsen is a friend of Randy Cummins, who touched me deeply by the way he cared about his kennel. And if he is there, running the Iditarod, there must be more people like him.

Maria,
sled dog handler

2:25 PM  
Blogger Mann said...

Hi Margaret,

I read your comment on my blog and came upon yours again.

I don't know if you were able to check out any sled dog photos from my blog as it's in Estonian, so I decided to make a little Best Of link collection of my summer photos. I spent it in Skagway, AK in a sled dog summer camp giving rides to tourist. This year I'm returning to Skagway's Denver glacier to be a handler again.

A video I made about my summer: http://suslikute-alaska.blogspot.com/2006/11/koertelaagri-video.html

How the camp looks like: http://suslikute-alaska.blogspot.com/2006/06/pildid-laagrist.html

A handler's day: http://suslikute-alaska.blogspot.com/2006/10/tagantjrele-fotod.html

http://suslikute-alaska.blogspot.com/2006/07/sissejuhatus-kelgukoerandusse.html

How the people in the camp look like: http://suslikute-alaska.blogspot.com/2006/07/tnase-sooja-peva-lemmikud.html

Our "camp bears" who came down every day to get some salmon: http://suslikute-alaska.blogspot.com/2006/09/karupoiste-pilte.html

Maria

2:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home