Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Where has the time gone?

I'm sure it was just yesterday that September was just starting and here we are - September 30. Hope you have all been keeping as pleasantly busy as I have. Here in the Netherlands September has been so lovely - little rain and plenty of sunshine.

DD and I felt we wanted a mother/daughter weekend so from the 18 - 20 we rented a cottage in a lovely wooded bungalow park on the Veluwe.

We left here Friday morning and upon arrival started our stay with a 9 km nature walk. About half way we stopped for lunch and then continued our walk/hike. Due to so much talking & laughter I think we took a few wrong turns somewhere along the way but finally wound up back where we had parked the car. I guess we have a better sense of direction than we thought. We were then able to check into our cottage and what a sweeheart it was - so cozy and comfy and so peaceful.

When we weren't out visiting places like Paleis Het Loo and Kroller-Muller Museum or biking in Park Hoge Veluwe we relaxed and enjoyed each others company, read, did some crossword puzzles, played a few board games including a new one for both of us (ever heard of Touche?), enjoyed good food and even watched 'Boer Zoekt Vrouw'. Who else here in Holland has a soft spot for Wietse?

It was Monday before we knew it and time to go home. We're already talking about where we will go next year.

My dear friend Lili knew I wanted to start a new stitching project to celebrate the weekend and that I wanted something with only one or two colors so she surprised me with 'My Lady's Quaker' by Jardin Prive. Thank you so much Lili - it was/is the perfect piece. I just loved the colors you picked for your's and am using the same - DMC 223 & 315. Hope you don't mind.


Jane's lighthouse is coming along nicely. When I first started it I was almost sorry I had offered to stitch it for her. The pattern is far from new and uses all kinds of weird look-alike symbols. I put it away for a while until we started talking about a visit there before the end of the year. The plans are not definite but I felt I'd better get at it and so far so good.


And now - 'Dutch Beast' - all completed except for the large Fresian initials. I didn't want to use the designer's grandmother's initials and have borrowed a book from Annemarie so I can put in my own. It will take a bit of planning and fiddling so I thought it best to leave this until the lighthouse is finished. 2009 has three more months and I'm still hoping to have both projects completed before the new year arrives.


Lastly a bit of framing. All those wonderful plans I had for mounting and framing one piece per week have not been working. It isn't because I haven't wanted to frame but my dear Janome is not co-operating. Perhaps I'm asking too much of him as a Sew Mini may not be strong enough for this type of stitching. My thread keeps on breaking when I'm zigzagging - and I NEED TO ZIGZAG!! The thing is that until three weeks ago I wasn't having any machine problems so of course I figured it had to be me, not Janome. I have done everything the instructions told me to do - new needles etc - but to no avail. Yesterday I just plugged away stitching by bits and pieces until it was done. It is very frustrating, especially since I'm afraid it is going to devour my fabric, but I'm pleased to be able to show you this result.

'Powell & Hyde St. Cable Car' San Francisco by Debbie Patrick
stitched in 2006 on 24 ct Aida with DMC floss

For those of you who have been following my blog from the very beginning - this is the very first cross-stitched piece I posted. Some day I must post pictures from pre-blog times.

Today autumn seems to have arrived - the sky is grey and it is drizzling on and off. Great weather for indoor activities. Perhaps more framing? Or maybe just some work on the lighthouse.

Happy Stitching!!

12 Comments:

Blogger Leeland said...

Wow: Such progress on the Quaker Lady! It just looks wonderful so far.
And I'm so happy that this project will be related to your fab weekend with your daughter, in your mind. That makes stitching even more pleasant...
Jane's lighthouse is a beautiful piece and Dutch Beast is amazing! You've been stitching like mad! Have you got that turbo needle every stitcher talks about -and has never seen?
I'm completely in love with Debbie Patrick's designs... and completely impressed at the amount of time and focus they require. It sure deserves this beautiful frame.
Lots of love,
Lili

1:15 PM  
Blogger Kathy A. said...

What a wonderful newsy post.
How special it must have been to spend a weekend with your daughter. You will have memories to last forever.
Love your Lady Quaker and her colors.
Your lighthouse is just gorgeous. I love lighthouses and this one is perfect.
Your Debbie Patrick cablecars is gorgeous. The framing is perfect. I have done one of her designs and loved it.

2:53 PM  
Blogger mainely stitching said...

A mother-daughter weekend sounds brilliant - I'll have to borrow that idea in the future! :D

Wonderful stitching, as always, and it's great to see you blogging again. :)

5:46 AM  
Blogger Lillie said...

Wow! beautiful projects you've got there. The ligjhthouse look fabulous, loved the red on the quaker and the Dutch beast looks great. Sounds like you had a wonderful time with your DD.

7:54 AM  
Blogger Wendy said...

je borduurwerken zien er heel goed uit, je hebt niet stil gezeten !
het idee dat de tijd vliegt ken ik maar al te goed, zo is het jaar net begonnen, en zo is het alweer bijna kerst.

wat is dat trouwens voor een leuk dingetje waar je je borduurwerk op het staan in de laatste foto ?

11:15 AM  
Blogger Barb said...

Sounds like a fun weekend mother & daughter. The lighthouse piece is beautiful. Great WIP piece I love the colors you are using.

2:38 PM  
Blogger Anneke said...

the weather is not so great now on the Veluwe; but with a great cottage (with a fireplace) that would have been great too...

I watch Boer zoekt vrouw, but I don't have a soft spot for Wietse. Quite frankly not for one of them in particular. My DD3 loves to watch, so we watch together, sort of a mother-daughter sitting session ;-0

11:21 AM  
Blogger stitcherw said...

Sounds like you both had a wonderful time, what a great outing you planned. Your lighthouse is looking wonderful, and your framed houses and cablecar look great. Sorry it was so difficult with the zig zagging, hopefully it cooperates more in the future. Your new start is beautiful too, great colors.
Sue

3:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Margaret, thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment.
If you want to sign up for the Sisterhood of the Travelling pattern, you will need to head over to Sara's blog and leave a comment there as she has just finished it :)
http://sarasimplestitching.blogspot.com/2009/10/shes-ready-to-travel.html

9:18 PM  
Blogger Leeland said...

Margaret, sorry to use the blog for this. I have just sent you an email and I get an error message. Sometimes I get those error messages but you do get my emails anyway. So I'm checking that you have it. Will you let me know? Thanks and hugs,
Lili

5:30 AM  
Blogger Cindy F. said...

Margaret, I'm terribly behind on reading blogs, but so glad I finally got to yours!
Beautiful progress on Quaker Lady!
Love the color choices.
Such pretty progress on your lighthouse...and wow! your sampler is AMAZING!!! I LOVE that!
Your finished homes are so beautifully framed:) Good job and congrats!!

2:06 PM  
Blogger Alberta said...

I've always wanted to do a mother daughter retreat...Margaret, I'm going to have to do something about it now!

Love your stitching, each one so different but all coming alive by your needle!

9:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home