Sunday, February 12, 2012

11/22/63

Once in a long while a book comes along that not only enthralls you during the entire read but makes anything you read shortly thereafter pale by comparison. Stephen King's 11/22/63 is one of these rare books.

For those of you who associate Mr. King with horror stories please reconsider your preconceptions. 11/22/63 is nothing like that at all.

Who can write "He opened an ice cream freezer and removed a frosty mug roughly the size of a lemonade pitcher. He filled it from a tap and I could smell the root beer, rich and strong. . . . . . I sipped through the foam on top, and was amazed. It was ... full" and make feel you like you are smelling and tasting the root beer yourself? Stephen King can.

Perhaps it's because I can remember the late 50's and early 60's so well myself. I was actually coming out of a Grade 12 bookkeeping exam when we heard the news of President Kennedy's assassination. Perhaps it's because like many of my generation I can still close my eyes and smell and taste those times. Oh I know it was not all 'good old times' but it was a simpler, purer way of life and it was GOOD,

Now you may not remember these times yourself but let me assure you that if you enjoy rich characters and scenes filled with love, sorrow, laughter and action this is a must read for you.

11/22/63 is not a little gem - it is a enormous multifaceted jewel.

5 Comments:

Blogger Sandy said...

Wow! I'm adding it to my book list right now :)

12:53 PM  
Blogger Juls said...

I am loving this book!!!

8:50 PM  
Blogger Vonna Pfeiffer said...

I've been wanting to read this, I wasn't born yet, but I yearn for a PURER, SIMPLER time than what these times are and seem to be.

4:16 AM  
Blogger Leeland said...

Right this morning, my son was asking me if I knew of a good book about JFK. I said I didn't and asked why. He said he was enjoying this period of history and wanted to know more. :)
The crazy thing is that my parents were 21 when it happened, and yet they don't seem to have any memory of it. I can't believe the news and all the implications were not broadcasted on the French TV, though. :(
I will have a look at this one. Thanks for the heads up. ;)

9:31 AM  
Blogger zenuwpees said...

Beautiful ,congreatulation.Marie-Claire

4:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home